Search Mailing List Archives
[liberationtech] Hiring Internet censorship researchers (MENA, Turkey, China, Iran, Pakistan)
netalitica at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 13:35:17 PST 2019
Netalitica is looking to hire researchers to investigate Internet
censorship in the following regions/countries: MENA, Turkey, Pakistan,
China and Iran.
Netalitica is a new research-oriented organization in the Internet freedom
community which focus is on investigating information controls, Internet
censorship and surveillance in various parts of the world. It has been
recently set up to conduct its first project called “Improving Test Lists
of Censored Online Content”.
*About the project*
This project aims to improve Citizen Lab’s test lists
<https://github.com/citizenlab/test-lists/tree/master/lists> that network
measurement tools (i.e. *OONI Probe* <https://ooni.torproject.org/>) use to
do their job. If network probes have evolved over the years, test lists for
some countries have seen little updates, which negatively affects the
quality of collected measurements and wastes resources of testers on the
ground. This project aims to address these issues by updating the test
lists of select censorship hot spots. To reach this goal, Netalitica is
looking to hire:
· One *Regional Researcher* to update the lists for select Middle
East and North Africa states (Saudi Arabia, UAE, Egypt, Yemen, Syria,
Morocco, Tunisia and others);
· Four *Country Researchers* to service the lists for Turkey,
Pakistan, China and Iran.
More countries will be added as the project unfolds. This is a part-time
position where country researchers will be hired on a monthly basis.
*What will you do:*
As a *country researcher,* you will have one month to service the test
lists of your state of interest and you will be hired for this duration of
time. The MENA *regional researcher* will be asked to update the lists of
at least seven countries from that area and will be hired for the entire
duration of the project, starting from March 1 until September 30. The
expectation is that you will spend 3.5 hours daily to conduct the following
· Update the test lists for your respective country(s) with fresh
URLs of recently blocked or likely to be blocked critical websites. For
this purpose, you will examine various resources reporting information on
Internet censorship topics such as analytical reports, media accounts,
social media channels of Internet freedom activists, etc.
· Examine and clean “country” test lists from faulty URLs;
· Balance “country” lists to include representative number of URLs
from each category;
· Examine and clean the “global” test list from faulty URLs;
· Outreach to local Internet freedom organizations, researchers and
activists to further improve the quality of test lists;
· Meet online weekly with the rest of the team;
· Assist community researchers in areas serviced by the project;
*You should have:*
· Excellent reading and writing skills in the main language(s)
spoken in your country/region of interest
· Strong communication and research skills
· Knowledge of the Internet landscape of your country of interest,
including the Internet filtering regime, Internet freedom organizations,
· Outreach experience
· Experience in conducting research on Internet censorship topics
will be an asset
· Experience using anonymization tools and ability to conduct this
· Familiarity with using social media platforms popular in your
· Experience using network measurement tools (OONI probe) is an
· You should not be receiving other forms of USG support
Remote. This is a part-time position that does not require you to be
located in the country that you intend to research. In fact, for some
high-risk security countries (i.e. Turkey), it would be better if you
conduct this research remotely from another safe state.
The monthly salary will be $2,741 USD, based on $37 USD hourly rate and 74
work hours per month.
The MENA researcher will start on March 1. The start date for other country
researchers will be determined following interviews with successful
To apply, send us an email to netalitica at gmail.com with the following
· Cover letter outlining your suitability for the role
Applications for MENA will be accepted until February 25. Applicants who
are interested to update the lists of any of the other countries included
in the project (Turkey, Pakistan, China, Iran) are invited to send their
applications by March 17.
Thank you for your interest.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the liberationtech