[mininet-discuss] Running a Click router in Mininet

Bob Lantz rlantz at cs.stanford.edu
Fri Oct 7 08:18:41 PDT 2011

Well, the mailing list is about Mininet, but:

1. There's no reason you can't do software or hardware DPI with OpenFlow (e.g. either external processing or OF extensions.)

2. I think the only reason to use Click is if it gives you a faster path to hardware implementation (e.g. via NetFPGA or Bee2 or whatever.) I still advocate controlling it using OpenFlow.

3. DPI is of limited value in the internet (dominated by encrypted video streams), in the cloud (encrypted traffic and managed apps), and in the datacenter (managed apps.)

(Hmm, thinking back to my experience working for a cellular operator I'm not sure it's of much use on cellular networks either.)

Anyway, good luck, and we'll look forward to the ClickSwitch class!

-Bob