[mininet-discuss] Is there a way of sending actual data through the mininet nodes?

Bob Lantz rlantz at cs.stanford.edu
Fri Oct 14 12:18:52 PDT 2011

Apache works if you set it up correctly, but I recommend starting out with a simpler HTTP server, as Shrutarshi suggested.

By default, web servers seem to have a bad habit of doing a reverse DNS lookup on the client address; to avoid hangs, you could turn that feature off or add an entry into /etc/hosts.

The right way to create an experiment is to write a python script, but you can show that it works in terminal windows or the CLI:

# mn
*** Adding controller
*** Creating network
*** Adding hosts:
h2 h3
*** Adding switches:
s1
*** Adding links:
(s1, h2) (s1, h3)
*** Configuring hosts
h2 h3
*** Starting controller
*** Starting 1 switches
s1
*** Starting CLI:
mininet> h3 grep h2 /etc/hosts
10.0.0.2	vm2 vm2.localdomain
mininet> h3 python -m SimpleHTTPServer 80 2> /tmp/http.log &
mininet> h2 wget h3
--2011-10-14 11:57:07--  http://10.0.0.3/
Connecting to 10.0.0.3:80... connected.
Length: 5436 (5.3K) [text/html]
Saving to: “index.html”

     0K .....                                                 100%  195M=0s

2011-10-14 11:57:10 (195 MB/s) - “index.html” saved [5436/5436]

mininet> h3 kill %python
mininet> sh cat /tmp/http.log
vm2.localdomain - - [14/Oct/2011 11:57:10] "GET / HTTP/1.0" 200 -
mininet> exit
*** Stopping 2 hosts
h2 h3
*** Stopping 1 switches