[mininet-discuss] mac address

Bob Lantz rlantz at cs.stanford.edu
Wed Oct 19 12:52:02 PDT 2011

If you want to use OpenFlow, then using the Linux networking stack to assign a MAC or IP address to a switch port is unnecessary and undesirable.

To "assign" a MAC or IP address to the switch,

1. Use OpenFlow to install a rule to forward packets to whatever "switch" MAC or IP address you like to the controller.

2. When you want the "switch" to send packets, simply create them with whatever source MAC and source IP you like.

To summarize: this is an important design aspect of OpenFlow which needs to be understood.

Bob

p.s. To perhaps clarify this issue, I think we may wish to change Mininet to raise an error if you attempt to assign an IP or MAC address to a switch.