[mininet-discuss] mac address

Bob Lantz rlantz at cs.stanford.edu
Wed Oct 19 17:02:25 PDT 2011

Well, these questions don't seem to be Mininet questions but rather OpenFlow and NOX questions, which can best be answered by reading the OpenFlow spec, papers, and NOX documentation and/or posting to other mailing lists (e.g. openflow-discuss, nox-dev, etc.), but my brief replies are inline.

On Oct 19, 2011, at 3:24 PM, scolfield wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thanks for your reply, but I have some doubt yet.
> If we don't need MAC or IP address, how we could identifier or differ one to another openflow switch?

At the controller, switches are usually differentiated by datapath ID (or possibly by OpenFlow connection.)

> The pyswitch example can learn topology of networks?

I am not aware of pyswitch having that functionality - nor does it need it. If I'm not mistaken, topology
discovery in NOX is in other modules such as netapps/topology.

> Such as a corporation architecture when
> there are hierarchical switches interconnected one to another creating several "layers" of switches,
> at this case, the one openflow controller connected to two distinct switches, can learn which ports
> to send a ping packets, for example?

A ping reply is an ICMP echo reply, which is an IP packet, which can be routed to its destination
by whatever means you choose. It would probably be reasonable to originate it from the switch
it came into (and probably the ingress port) rather than some random port on another switch.

> The packet in messages will be forwarded automatically through
> switches until reach a controller?

PACKET_IN messages are OpenFlow messages which are sent from switch to controller.