[mininet-discuss] Enable / disable switches

Bob Lantz rlantz at cs.stanford.edu
Mon Oct 24 17:54:01 PDT 2011

Aaron,

What exactly are you trying to do and why? If I have a better understanding of what you're trying to do, I might be able to suggest something.

I think we discussed this before but didn't adopt it because there weren't obvious clear semantics that had an analog to hardware (e.g. unplugging a cable, breaking a cable, turning a port off administratively, shutting the switch down, etc..)

As Brandon implied, you *could* "pause" the reference user switch by doing something like switch.cmd('kill -STOP %ofdatapath %ofprotocol'), but I would think carefully about whether this is what you really want.

My thinking is that the right way to disable a port is for the controller to set it to administratively down by sending a OFPT_PORT_MOD message (assuming that works.)

-Bob