[mininet-discuss] ovs-vswitchd support?

Rob Sherwood rob.sherwood at bigswitch.com
Wed Oct 26 16:01:32 PDT 2011

On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 2:45 PM, Bob Lantz <rlantz at cs.stanford.edu> wrote:
> Agreed on the startup time issue; when the reference kernel switch was
> abandoned and we had to switch to Open vSwitch, Mininet startup got a lot
> slower, which was unfortunate.  ;-(

So, I'm reading up more on the new and fancy ovs-vswitchd features and
apparently startup time is a non-issue.  If I'm reading this
correctly, you start a *single* instance of ovsdb-server (the
database) and ovs-vswitchd (the openflow daemon) that manages the
entire machine, and then you create logical switches (called bridges
in the docs) with the ovs-vsctl command:

For example, to create two mininet switches, you would run:

[initial setup]
ovsdb-server --remote=punix:/usr/local/var/run/openvswitch/db.sock
--remote=db:Open_vSwitch,manager_options
ovs-vswitchd --pidfile --detach # NOTE: this is shared across all
OpenFlow switch instances

[add switch1]
ovs-vsctl add-br switch1
ovs-vsctl set-controller switch1 tcp:localhost:6633

[add switch2]
ovs-vsctl add-br switch2
ovs-vsctl set-controller switch2 tcp:localhost:6633

Let me see if I can cobble some of this together and I can report
back, but for people who know OVS better, does this sound right?  (I
could just post to the OVS list, but this is really more of a mininet
issue...)

Separate question: what is the canonical home of mininet now, both in
terms of source and webpage?  git://gitosis.stanford.edu or
https://github.com/mininet?

If one is deprecated, could it be removed for clarity?

Thanks,

- Rob
.