[mininet-discuss] ovs-vswitchd support?

Brandon Heller brandonh at stanford.edu
Wed Oct 26 18:00:44 PDT 2011

On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 4:01 PM, Rob Sherwood <rob.sherwood at bigswitch.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 2:45 PM, Bob Lantz <rlantz at cs.stanford.edu> wrote:
> > Agreed on the startup time issue; when the reference kernel switch was
> > abandoned and we had to switch to Open vSwitch, Mininet startup got a lot
> > slower, which was unfortunate.  ;-(
>
> So, I'm reading up more on the new and fancy ovs-vswitchd features and
> apparently startup time is a non-issue.  If I'm reading this
> correctly, you start a *single* instance of ovsdb-server (the
> database) and ovs-vswitchd (the openflow daemon) that manages the
> entire machine, and then you create logical switches (called bridges
> in the docs) with the ovs-vsctl command:
>
> For example, to create two mininet switches, you would run:
>
> [initial setup]
> ovsdb-server --remote=punix:/usr/local/var/run/openvswitch/db.sock
> --remote=db:Open_vSwitch,manager_options
> ovs-vswitchd --pidfile --detach # NOTE: this is shared across all
> OpenFlow switch instances
>
> [add switch1]
> ovs-vsctl add-br switch1
> ovs-vsctl set-controller switch1 tcp:localhost:6633
>
> [add switch2]
> ovs-vsctl add-br switch2
> ovs-vsctl set-controller switch2 tcp:localhost:6633
>
> Let me see if I can cobble some of this together and I can report
> back, but for people who know OVS better, does this sound right?  (I
> could just post to the OVS list, but this is really more of a mininet
> issue...)
>
> Separate question: what is the canonical home of mininet now, both in
> terms of source and webpage?  git://gitosis.stanford.edu or
> https://github.com/mininet?

Everything's moving to GitHub.  Consider gitosis deprecated.

> If one is deprecated, could it be removed for clarity?

Aside from within the VM setup notes (which I just changed), where else is
it referenced?  I'm holding off on changing the link to the old VM because
that needs a few more changes first.  I added a note on the front Mininet
page as well as Download.

Thanks,
Brandon