[mininet-discuss] need help to boot up mininet vm using qemu "Nothing to boot: No such file or directory (http://ipxe.org/2d03e13b)"

Bob Lantz rlantz at cs.stanford.edu
Tue May 29 20:53:35 PDT 2012

The following just worked fine for me on Ubuntu 12.04:

sudo apt-get install qemu-system
wget https://github.com/downloads/mininet/mininet/mininet-vm-ubuntu11.10-052312.vmware.zip
unzip mininet*vmware.zip
cd Mininet-VM
qemu-system-i386 MininetVM.vmdk
(in VM)
sudo mn --test pingall

Amazingly enough, Ubuntu was running in VMware, so nested emulation/virtualization going on here.

Note that VirtualBox can also boot from a .vmdk image.

~Bob