[mininet-discuss] Include telnet in dependencies?

Julius Bachnick julius.bachnick at gmail.com
Thu Nov 22 12:30:01 PST 2012

Hey Folks,

I just set up mininet 2.0.0rc1 on Debian wheezy and found a weird behaviour:

When doing

mn

I received

[...]
File
"/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/mininet-2.0.0rc1-py2.7.egg/mininet/node.py",
line 1006, in checkListening
    '\n'.join( clist ) )
Exception: Please shut down the controller which is running on port 6633:

As you can see there were no active connections listed. So I double checked
with netstat -an and yet again I could not find anything related to 6633.

Hence, I checked node.py and the method checkListening

[...]
def checkListening( self ):
        "Make sure no controllers are running on our port"
        listening = self.cmd( "echo A | telnet -e A %s %d" %
                              ( self.ip, self.port ) )
[...]

I tried to run the cmd myself to see some output but I failed since telnet
was not installed on my machine. Consequently this test will fail on every
machine without telnet.

So I'd suggest that getting either fixed or putting telnet onto the list of
packages to be installed?!

Regards,

Julius