[mininet-discuss] Internet connectivity from mininet hosts

Geordy Korte gkorte at gmail.com
Wed Dec 11 08:13:51 PST 2013

Hello Jayraj,

Welcome to Mininet! What you are trying todo is not going to work out of
the box unless you configure your Mininet network to do this and
specifically create a Mininet host that acts as a router (one interface in
mininet and one on your host). Basically Mininet emulates network switches
and host that connect to Openflow Controllers, it does not out of the box
allow you to communicate with the internet.

To proceed I would encourage you to check the archives, and really really
read the how-to's and Wiki on the mininet pages. This should point you in
the correct direction.

Cheers,

Geordy

On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 1:43 PM, Jayraj Sirmukaddam <
jayraj_sirmukaddam at persistent.co.in> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I’m new to SDN, facing issue to connect to internet from host in my
> topology, below mentioned are the details:
>

> I am using mininet on a virtual machine Ubuntu 13.04., the virtual machine
> has internet connectivity. I created a virtual topology with 2 hosts using
> sudo mn command. Then I start the xterms of the 2hosts and try to access
> the internet from those two hosts I don’t get the internet connectivity in
> those two hosts.
>
> Below mentioned are the details of those error
>

> mininet at root>> wget google.com
>
> Resolving google.com (google.com)... failed: No such file or directory.
>
> wget: unable to resolve host address ‘google.com’
>

> ping ip(of virtual machine on which topology is created)
>
> ping 172.16.6.74
>
> connect: Network is unreachable
>

> I even configured the IP address, subnet mask and default gateway of those
> 2 hosts but was still not able to get the internet connectivity. Please
> help me in resolving the issue.
>
> Any pointers are really appreciable.
>

> Thank you.
>

> DISCLAIMER ========== This e-mail may contain privileged and confidential
> information which is the property of Persistent Systems Ltd. It is intended
> only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If
> you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorized to read, retain,
> this message. Persistent Systems Ltd. does not accept any liability for
> virus infected mails.

Geordy Korte
MSN geordy at geordy.nl