[mininet-discuss] Namespace Issue of OVSSwitch

Julius Bachnick julius.bachnick at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 03:11:25 PST 2013

Hi all,

I just tried to extend OVSSwitch for doing additional things in the start()
method, but when I try to start mininet (and thus call start() on all
switches) i receive the following exception:

Exception: OVS kernel switch does not work in a namespace

which obviously comes from

 if self.inNamespace:
                raise Exception(
                    'OVS kernel switch does not work in a namespace' )

So my obvious question is what the logic behind that is and hence how to
avoid that OVS is in the same namespace. Maybe it's just my lack of python
understanding but currently I can't seem to find the solution inside the
code and would be grateful for any advices.

Regards,

Julius