[mininet-discuss] Changing routing table entries in hosts

Gagan gagan.mishra at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 06:26:26 PST 2013

Hi all,

I am trying to change the routing entries in mininet hosts, but I am
getting strange behavior. May be I dont know enough about these. Let me
explain what is happening :

I created a simple topology, as given in mininet examples :

sudo mn --mac --topo single,3

Now, the hosts created by these, have routing table entries as :

mininet> h2 netstat -nr
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags   MSS Window  irtt
Iface
10.0.0.0        0.0.0.0         255.0.0.0       U         0 0          0
h2-eth0

at the same time, if I create a topology with :

sudo mn --custom ~/mininet/custom/topo-2sw-2host.py --topo mytopo

the routing table entries are :

mininet> h1 netstat -nr
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags   MSS Window  irtt
Iface
0.0.0.0         0.0.0.0         0.0.0.0         U         0 0          0
h1-eth0

Again, if I use a 'remote' controller with the same topology, the routing
entries are different :
i.e. for :

sudo mn --mac --controller=remote --ip=10.5.17.1 --port=6633 --custom
~/mininet/custom/topo-2sw-2host.py --topo mytopo

the routing entries are :

mininet> h1 netstat -nr
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags   MSS Window  irtt
Iface
10.0.0.0        0.0.0.0         255.0.0.0       U         0 0          0
h1-eth0

Why is it different for different topologies and also varies with/without
remote controller ?

Secondly, I am unable to change the routing entries also. i.e. for 1st
topology :

sudo mn --mac --topo single,3

I want to add a route, but it shows invalid :

mininet> h2 route add -net 0.0.0.0 netmask 0.0.0.0 gw 0.0.0.0 h2-eth0
SIOCADDRT: Invalid argument

May be this is not a mininet issue ?

I can delete the existing route, but when I try to add the same route
again, it says invalid argument.

Can anyone explain please ?

Thanks

Gagan B Mishra