[mininet-discuss] How to create multiple links between a pair of switches

Hui Kang hkang.sunysb at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 11:16:42 PDT 2014

Hi,
I am new to mininet and hope to get some answer from this mailing list.

The question is that I would like to create multiple links between a pair
of switches in order to test some loop detection of a SDN routing
algorithm. However, when I add multiple links between a pair of switches
and try ping from one host to another, the mininet reports following error
and quits.

TypeError: sequence item 1: expected string, NoneType found
*** Removing excess controllers/ofprotocols/ofdatapaths/pings/noxes
killall controller ofprotocol ofdatapath ping nox_core lt-nox_core
ovs-openflowd ovs-controller udpbwtest mnexec ivs 2> /dev/null
killall -9 controller ofprotocol ofdatapath ping nox_core lt-nox_core
ovs-openflowd ovs-controller udpbwtest mnexec ivs 2> /dev/null
pkill -9 -f "sudo mnexec"
*** Removing junk from /tmp
rm -f /tmp/vconn* /tmp/vlogs* /tmp/*.out /tmp/*.log
*** Removing old X11 tunnels
*** Removing excess kernel datapaths
ps ax | egrep -o 'dp[0-9]+' | sed 's/dp/nl:/'
***  Removing OVS datapathsovs-vsctl --timeout=1 list-br
ovs-vsctl del-br s3
ovs-vsctl del-br s4
ovs-vsctl del-br s5
*** Removing all links of the pattern foo-ethX
ip link show | egrep -o '(\w+-eth\w+)'

** The command I use to create the network is
       sudo mn --custom ~/mininet/custom/topo-2sw-10host-manylinks.py
--topo mytopo --mac  --controller=remote,ip=192.168.0.186

** The controller is an external floodlight controller.

** The script has the following code to add 2 links between a pair of
switches.

      self.addLink( leftSwitch, rightSwitch )
      self.addLink( leftSwitch, rightSwitch )

By the way, there is no problem when having only one link between the two
switches. Can any you help on the multiple links between a pair of
switches. Thanks in advance.

best

- Hui Kang