[mininet-discuss] Link creation time

Sukhbir Singh sukhbir.in at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 14:44:40 PDT 2014

Hi,

I was wondering if there was any way to speed up the link creation time
in Mininet so I decided to look under the hood: it is basically creating
veth pairs, so my first thought was to use multiprocessing to speed up
the process and since this is done in pairs of src -> dst (unique), I
was thinking  (however naively ;) that this would help avoid any
potential race conditions.

Modifying net.py, I changed net.py#L344:

    self.addLink( src, dst, srcPort, dstPort, **params )

... and then modified to use Python's multiprocessing module so that
instead of running this for one (src, dst) pair, this could be done
concurrently for multiple pairs.

This however doesn't work and I think I am missing something obvious
here. I get this error:

    RTNETLINK answers: File exists

After trying to debug this, I think this has got to do with pairs where
the src is the same, for example, (x, y) and (x, z).

Has anyone tried something like this (improving link creation time) or
can anyone shed some light on the above steps?

--
Sukhbir