[mininet-discuss] Open vSwitch missing ovs-controller

Gregory Gee gee.developer at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 19:16:44 PDT 2014

   I tried installing Mininet but with the latest version of Open vSwitch

mininet/util/install.sh -fnV 2.1.0

   and mostly installed OK.

mininet at mininet:~$ sudo ovs-vsctl show
9f6a51e5-10eb-4a87-bac0-6a9c361095c8
     ovs_version: "2.1.0"

  But the 2.1.0 Open vSwitch packages doesn't seem to include the
ovs-controller and produced a few errors during the installation. So
we'll have to look at fixing the installer if you use the -V option to
install OVS 2.1.0 or greater.  A few new packages seem to be available.
The complete list of OVS 2.1.0 packages is shown here.

openvswitch-common_2.1.0-1_amd64.deb
openvswitch-datapath-dkms_2.1.0-1_all.deb
openvswitch-datapath-source_2.1.0-1_all.deb
openvswitch-dbg_2.1.0-1_amd64.deb
openvswitch-ipsec_2.1.0-1_amd64.deb
openvswitch-pki_2.1.0-1_all.deb
openvswitch-switch_2.1.0-1_amd64.deb
openvswitch-test_2.1.0-1_all.deb
openvswitch-vtep_2.1.0-1_amd64.deb
ovsdbmonitor_2.1.0-1_all.deb
python-openvswitch_2.1.0-1_all.deb

   So the 'mn' command might have to change its default to the OpenFlow
reference controller. Using the reference controller passed the test OK.

sudo mn --test pingall --controller=ref

   Looking at the OVS 2.1.0 release notes, I did see this entry.

    - ovs-controller has been renamed test-controller.  It is no longer
      packaged or installed by default, because too many users assumed
      incorrectly that ovs-controller was a necessary or desirable part
      of an Open vSwitch deployment.

Greg