[mininet-discuss] ovs-controller renamed to test-controller in Open vSwitch 2.1.0

Christian Stigen Larsen cslarsen at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 07:09:07 PDT 2014

Hi,

I'm using Mininet 2.1.0 and just compiled Open vSwitch 2.1.0.

Mininet then complains about not finding the binary ovs-controller, though, it
works fine if one specifies --controller=remote.

In ovs/NEWS, there is a note that they renamed this binary to test-controller:

    - ovs-controller has been renamed test-controller.  It is no longer
      packaged or installed by default, because too many users assumed
      incorrectly that ovs-controller was a necessary or desirable part
      of an Open vSwitch deployment.

I got a tweet from one of the contributors, saying:

    There's just no point to using test-controller. OVS is a perfectly good
    learning switch without any controller.

I've also seen others having the same problem; see

    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/21687357/mininet-ovs-controller-can-t-be-loaded-and-run

Copying ovs/tests/test-controller to /usr/bin/ovs-controller resolves this
problem.  Anyway, is this a known problem?  I spent some time searching for
solutions, but couldn't find anything.

Perhaps there should be something about it in the release-notes, at least?

Regards,

--·
Christian Stigen Larsen