[mininet-discuss] native installation on Mac?

Bob Lantz rlantz at cs.stanford.edu
Wed May 28 19:58:40 PDT 2014

Haha, I wish! Unfortunately, as far as I am aware, OS X doesn't currently support network virtualization, which Mininet depends on!

As far as I know, the sandboxing in iOS/OS X does not support attaching different virtual (or physical) network interfaces to different processes.

It is conceivable that in the future the jails and virtual ethernet functionality from FreeBSD will be ported to OS X (really to the Darwin/Xnu kernel) - then it would be possible to make an OS X version, which would be great! Alternately Apple may upgrade its sandboxing to support attaching different interfaces to different processes. It might also be possible to create a dynamic library which rebinds the socket API and does network virtualization (ns-3 may already do this, so perhaps their work could be reused in a Mininet version for OS X?) A similar approach might work for Windows even.

For now the easiest and most convenient solution for OS X/Windows is to use our VM image or to create a new Linux VM and install into it. This works well and is recommended. You could also boot Linux natively on your Mac, but this is tricky and rather inconvenient (I do it by installing Linux on an external drive and using Boot Camp's ntldr invoking plpboot.bin from boot.ini, to boot from an external USB device without having to change the Mac's EFI firmware, which is something that I really don't recommend doing!!)

-Bob