[mininet-discuss] Customizing Mininet Script

Rod N. Melton rnm at pobox.com
Mon Jan 5 07:59:49 PST 2015

i'm using mininet in ubuntu in virtualbox so my response is in this
context.

mininet python code lives in 2 places:

1. you probably have the .py source files installed in your home
directory. you can read and edit the source files from this location.

2. if you're using mininet in a python script to setup a simulated
network, the import statements will pull the mininet code from the

place where the python egg file is installed. For me this is
/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/mininet-2.1.0_-py2.7.egg

So if you make edits in your home dir and you want them to be seen at
run time, you must recompile mininet .py files and reinstall the egg
file

before executing you python script. To do this, go to the mininet
directory which has the setup.py script and enter:

sudo python setup.py install

Now re-execute your python script (which is probably in your home dir)
and your changes should be seen.

More info on how egg files work here:
http://mrtopf.de/blog/en/a-small-introduction-to-python-eggs/

Rod

On 2015-01-04 21:12, Sumit Paliwal wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
>
> I'm trying to make changes in the behabiour of switches in mininet.
> For that I'm making changes in the net.py and node.py file in mininet. But on execution, there is no impact of changes in output. Is there something, that i'm missing. Kindly let me know, if there are some other steps or the changes has to be made somewhere else.
>
> Thanks, --
>
> Sumit Paliwal
> M.Tech. ICT,
> IIT Jodhpur