[mininet-discuss] Interface link_speed/bandwidth 10G harcoded

Paulo Andrade andrade.paulo.pt at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 03:10:01 PST 2015

Hi,

I have been trying to find a way to update the port interfaces
link_speed/bandwidth that would be reported via openflow to the controller
but still haven't find any way to do this. Being able to work only with 10G
interfaces seem like a big limitation for someone trying to work with an
openflow controller in dynamic network scenarios. Tried already to change
the link_speed value directly on the openvswitch database using the
ovs-vsctl set interface %interfaceId$ link_speed=%speed% but the value is
not updated for this specific parameter.

Does anyone knows how to make it possible(even if I have to use a complex
workaround) to have a mininet emulated network that would report to the
controller interfaces with bandwidth different than 10G (e.g.1G)? I also
don't see anything that would allow to do this in the python mininet API.

Does anyone knows why the value is set to 10G in the first place? it seems
for the openvswitch, any linkspeed/bandwidth is ignored when there's a
virtual interface, so I have no idea why the 10G value is set when a
network is deployed using mininet.

Kind regards