[mininet-discuss] linking host to an external process

Tigran Avanaesov tigran.avanesov at uni.lu
Mon Jan 19 09:25:38 PST 2015

I used that example
https://github.com/mininet/mininet/blob/master/examples/nat.py
(create a host in a root namespace and use it as a gateway for others)

there were some other possibilities recently discussed in the mailing list
but i can't find it quickly
(you can also probably put your host to a root namespace)

then your host need to use (non-loopback)  ip address of the host
running your application
(open a socket to that ip ... )

hope it may help

On 01/19/2015 05:43 PM, lior barak wrote:
> hello,
> i am  new to mininet and pretty new to linux also.
>
> my goal is to connect between one host in the mininet network to an
> application on the controller ,or any other "outside" process for this
> matter), using a regular socket. .
>
> i understand that switches connect to the controller using the
> loopback interface, i tried using the host loopback, but i guess it is
> not connected in the same way. probably in a namespace?
>
> is there any way to add "real" loopback interface to a host? or maybe
> some other solution.
>
> thanks.
> lior.

Tigran Avanesov
Interdisciplinary Centre for Security, Reliability and Trust

UNIVERSITE DU LUXEMBOURG
BÂTIMENT WEICKER
4, rue Alphonse Weicker
L-2721 Luxembourg