[mininet-discuss] Connection with "real" hosts

Silvia Fichera fichera.sil at gmail.com
Mon May 18 00:37:27 PDT 2015

Hi Bob,
I know that is better to use Mininet hosts, but my hosts are Openstack
compute nodes, I would like to use Mininet to build the Openstack data
network managed by an ODL Controller.
Moreover I can't access to the server's domain 0, because I have only the
address of the VMs (that perform as hosts and as OpenStack/ODL Controller).

I'll look for the other suggestions you gave, let me know if somethin raise
on you mind about my scenario.

Thaks

Silvia

> 1. Usually you can do pretty much everything you need more efficiently
> with Mininet hosts - VMs (and heavyweight containers) are usually a mistake
> for most experiments and development, unless you absolutely need a
> different OS like Windows.
>
> 2. This question has been asked multiple times on the list and I’ve made a
> number of suggestions - do any of them make sense to you?
>
> In your case, probably the easiest thing to do is to not run Mininet in a
> VM but run it in your VM server’s domain 0 and add the VM’s interfaces
> (e.g. ‘tap17’) using something like s1.attach(’tap17’) (after net.start())
> or s1.addIntf( Intf(’tap17’, node=s1)) (before net.start). [Syntax is off
> the top of my head, but this is the basic idea] You can also use an
> ovs-vsctl command. You may also wish to look at examples/hwintf.py.
>

> On May 14, 2015, at 6:03 AM, Silvia Fichera <fichera.sil at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
> I want to build a network in Mininet and I want this network connected to
> hosts that are not created with Mininet, let's say real hosts.
>
> In my case, I have in a server 3 VM with IP address 10.30.3.31,
> 10.30.3.32, 10.30.3.33 , the first one will be the Openflow controller, and
> I know how to connect a remote controller to a Mininet topology.
> Now I want to attach the other two to my network as hosts. I also have a
> VM in which install mininet.
> Does anybody can help me?
>
> --
> Silvia Fichera