[mininet-discuss] Wireshark packet capture in Mininet

Murat Karakus muratkarakus60 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 13:12:03 PDT 2015

Hi All,

You may find this irrelevant to the group but I am asking because I could
not find a good answer!

As far as I know Wireshark captures packets sent to/from your machine's
network cards/interfaces like Ethernet, wireless etc.

I could not understand how Wireshark can capture packets in a simulated
network created in Mininet. At the end, it is a simulation and no real
packet is sent from/to my laptop's network cards/interfaces!

Can anyone explain me how Wireshark is able to do this?

Best Regards,
Murat Karakus