[mininet-discuss] Completion time difference for running MPI experiment on hardware and Mininet topology

evelina dumitrescu evelina.a.dumitrescu at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 07:45:06 PDT 2016

Hi,

I have a hardware topology with 2 hosts connected through a switch.
The link  bandwidth between the switch and the 2 hosts is about 100Mbs; the
observed latency measured with ping is about 0.26ms and the iperf
throughput is about 37Mbs;
I used the same topology in Mininet with 37Mbps bandwith and delay 0.26ms.
I run some MPI experiments on the hardware testbed and in Mininet and
measured the execution time.
The time obtained in Mininet is half the time in the hardware topology.
My questions are:
- what exactly represents the delay in Mininet (theoretically, the delay is
represented as the sum of putting the bits on the wire + flight time)
- how should I setup the parameters in Mininet to obtain the same results?
What other parameters should I take into account?
- is it normal to get such difference in time between the hardware testbed
and Mininet ?

Thanks,
Evelina