[mininet-discuss] [help] Connects mininet to Internet

Qing Wang qw at g.clemson.edu
Mon Dec 12 10:33:07 PST 2016

Hi there,

I have a need to use mininet to connect to Internet at this point. I have
few issues, and I am hoping I can get some help here.

The mininet runs at a Virtual Machine, and this virtual machine is already
connects to Internet via tap5. ( It is actually an OpenVPN tunnel ). To
simply the problem, my current strategy to connect Internet is: I create an
OVS in mininet and attach tap5 as an port interface. So the topology in
mininet is:
Host 1 <----> OVS ( tap5 attached as a port ) <---> Internet

I was wondering
1 ) Does my strategy looks reasonable, or anybody has an better suggestion?
2 ) Some documents suggest to "dhclient" on Host 1 interface, but once I
run it in mininet, there is no response. Does anybody has a quick answer
about that?

Much appreciation of your time!

Qing