[mininet-discuss] Two Simple Questions

Jason Franklin j_fra at fastmail.us
Fri Dec 16 09:04:19 PST 2016

I do have some follow-up questions:

(1)  Can a user-space protocol stack be run under the ownership of each
     mininet host?  We need the flexibility to rapidly change protocol
     stack internals particular to each host without requiring kernel-
     level modifications.

(2) An addition thought is:  Can two mininet hosts run separate user
    level protocol stacks simultaneously to test interoperability?  Say
    I write a user-level module that talks over raw sockets and launch
    it with a shell command run from the mininet CLI so that it runs on
    all hosts,  will this allow me to bypass the system network stack?

(3) Are there any sections of the documentation that describe this type
    of modification to the mininet system?  In other words, how exactly
    do I go about avoiding the use of an SDN controller and making sure
    that hosts aren't sharing any code above the MAC layer?

If mininet doesn't support this type of change, I'd be happy to help
with contributions.  I'm a fairly experienced Python developer.

Thanks!

--

  Jason Franklin

  j_fra at fastmail.us