[mininet-discuss] Mininet Throughput Tests

Matthew Gotheridge mattgoth87 at hotmail.co.uk
Fri Dec 30 17:06:37 PST 2016

Hi everyone,

I'm pretty new to mininet, so thought I would ask for some advice from those a bit more experienced than myself! I work as a network engineer and I've been really interested in experimenting with SDN and would like a little bit of guidance.

Basically, I'm running a mininet topology with switches connected to a distributed controller (ONOS in this instance). I want to generate lots of new flows, or at least  traffic where all packets are sent via the controller. My aim is to measure the throughput of the distributed controller.

Unfortunately, I can't use Cbench as this can only connect to a single controller. My first thought was to install a default flow rule on each switch that forwards all packets to the controller. I can then use a simple bandwidth benchmark tool such as iperf to measure it's throughput.

Would this be feasible, or is there a better way of achieving this? I would really appreciate being pointed in the right direction.

Thanks for everyone's time!