[mininet-discuss] Mininet Switch Port connect to Physical switch port

Bob Lantz rlantz at cs.stanford.edu
Fri Jul 1 16:03:14 PDT 2016

I'm not entirely sure I understand the question either, but:

There shouldn't be a big difference between attaching a virtual interface or a physical interface (e.g. eth0 or tap0) to a Switch. The name is not significant, as I've noted.

There also shouldn't be a huge difference between connecting to a transparent tunnel or bridge to a switch and connecting to the switch itself - the tunnel or bridge is "transparent" which is to say mostly invisible.

As you imply, you can use various tunnels or bridges to stitch a hardware switch into a Mininet network.