[mininet-discuss] Problem with a n host, zero switch topology in mininet

Martin Haug 2214231H at student.gla.ac.uk
Mon Jul 4 12:50:12 PDT 2016

Hello

I am experimenting a bit to gain a better understanding of Mininet and
Openflow. I have built a topology with n hosts in a line and no
switches. Strangely, host 1 and host 2 can ping each other but the
remaining hosts can't.
Could somebody explain why this is and possibly if it is possible to get
all nodes to be able to ping their neighbors without introducing
switches into the network?

Here is my current code:

     #!/usr/bin/python
     from mininet.net import Mininet
     from utils.FloodlightController import FloodlightController
     from mininet.log import setLogLevel
     import os,time

     if __name__ == '__main__':
         #setLogLevel( 'info' )
         net = Mininet(controller=FloodlightController)
         #net.addController("controller1")

         num_nodes = 8
         for i in range(1,num_nodes):
             net.addHost("h%d"%i)
         for i in range(2,num_nodes):
             net.addLink("h%d"%i, "h%d"%(i-1))

         net.start()
         net.pingAll()
         net.stop()

This is the output:

     *** Ping: testing ping reachability
     h1 -> h2 X X X X X
     h2 -> h1 X X X X X
     h3 -> X X X X X X
     h4 -> X X X X X X
     h5 -> X X X X X X
     h6 -> X X X X X X
     h7 -> X X X X X X
     *** Results: 95% dropped (2/42 received)

I am not completely sure whether this is a mininet or an
Floodlight/Openflow issue, but I think this is the more likely place to
ask this question.

Best Regards
Martin Haug