[mininet-discuss] (rtd) Re: Problem with Mininet Ubuntu14.04 32 bit console rows and columns [SOLVED]

Jim Showalter jim.showalter at verizon.net
Sat Jul 22 06:55:49 PDT 2017

The problem has been resolved.  So I thought I would post the steps that
worked for me.   Windows 10 is the host operating system and I am
running Ubuntu 14.04 LTS packaged w/ Mininet to run under VirtualBox
version 5.1.24.

First I downloaded the Ubuntu Mininet VM image from
http://mininet.org/download/.   I also wanted to ensure I had the
correct Virtual Box guest editions by going to
http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox.  I retrieved the ISO image
file for 5.1.24.  Then I created an optical drive and mounted it with
that image.

After starting the VM I logged in and proceeded as follows:

sudo apt-get -y update
sudo apt-get -y upgrade

Ensure the virtual CD is mounted and then do
sudo bash VBoxLinuxAdditions.run

sudo apt-get -y install lxde-core lxde

Once I started my GUI I could resize it to full screen.  This worked for
both the 32 and 64 bit versions of Ubuntu.
In this case, the GUI is running within the guest OS.  Other suggestions
were to install a Windows version of The X Window system and run the GUI
on the host with the guest running the server.  I may try that in the
future.

I also created a host-only network adapter.  This was the easiest way
for me to ssh into the guest from the host platform.

This solution was the result of piecing together responses to my earlier
questions and from various sources on the web (and of course, reading
the man pages).  Thanks to all!

Regards,
Jim