[mininet-discuss] In-band or Out-of-band Control among Switches and Controller

Blue Lang blue at
Sun Jul 23 13:52:10 PDT 2017

Both.. or neither. All of the traffic in the default configuration is
sharing a host, and it's all virtualized. I would call the default behavior
"out of band" since every switch connects "directly" (virtually) to a
controller, but all traffic is competing for the same resources. Someone
has written a tutorial on various considerations with creating an in-band
mininet topology.

As always, google is the best place to start.

On Sun, Jul 23, 2017 at 7:40 AM, victoria huang <gy.victoria.huang at
> wrote:

> Hi.
> I am trying to conduct SDN experiments using Mininet. I wonder whether the
> communication between controllers and switches is in-band control or
> out-of-band control by default setting in Mininet.
> Cheers,
> Victoria
> mininet-discuss at

Blue Lang