[multilingual-dh] Fresh off the press: multilingual (European) text collections

Worthey, Glen Cameron gworthey at illinois.edu
Thu Nov 21 06:28:39 PST 2019

This new  full-text collection should open some wonderful possibilities to folks in our group!
-Glen

                       Hosted by King's Digital Lab
                           www.dhhumanist.org
                    Submit to: humanist at dhhumanist.org

            Date: 2019-11-20 16:09:33+00:00
            From: Justin Tonra <justin.tonra at nuigalway.ie>
            Subject: Distant Reading Novel Collections Released in ELTeC Version 0.5.0

    One of the principal aims of COST Action Distant Reading for European Literary
    History is to build a multilingual European Literary Text Collection (ELTeC),
    ultimately containing around 2,500 full-text novels in at least 10 different
    languages. Today, we are pleased to announce the first public release of ELTeC,
    with nine language collections included!

    The ultimate aim is for ELTeC is to provide multiple collections of 100 novels
    published between 1840 and 1920 in their original language. Work to add more
    novels to ELTeC is ongoing, as we aim to build a corpus which will aid us in our
    task to develop the resources necessary to change the way European literary
    history is written. Progress towards our goal and current statistics about the
    collections can be found on this ELTeC Summary page:
    https://distantreading.github.io/ELTeC/.

    Language collections in this first release are in German, English, French,
    Italian, Norwegian (Bokmål and Nynorsk), Portuguese, Romanian, Serbian, and
    Slovenian. The collections can be downloaded here:
    https://zenodo.org/communities/eltec/.

    Each novel is encoded in compliance with the guidelines of the Text Encoding
    Initiative (TEI), and we have published details about the criteria for corpus
    composition and encoding guidelines here: https://distantreading.github.io/, and
    about our TEI schemas here: https://github.com/COST-
    ELTeC/Schemas/<https://github.com/COST-ELTeC/Schemas>.

    As work progresses on ELTeC, we invite you to use our collections. Feedback from
    the community would be very welcome as we improve our collections and work
    towards future releases. Please feel free to write to
    me<mailto:justin.tonra at nuigalway.ie> or Action Chair, Christof
    Schöch<mailto:schoech at uni-trier.de> with your comments. If you are interested in
    becoming a member of our Action, find out more here: https://www.distant-
    reading.net/about/participate/.

    Thanks to all of our colleagues from across Europe (and beyond) who have helped
    us to reach this important milestone!

    Learn more about our Action: https://www.distant-reading.net/
    Learn more about ELTeC: https://www.distant-reading.net/eltec/
    ELTeC Summary page: https://distantreading.github.io/ELTeC/
    ELTeC umbrella repository referencing all releases included in today's release:
    https://github.com/COST-ELTeC/ELTeC
    Zenodo community containing archive copies:
    https://zenodo.org/communities/eltec/

    --
    Dr Justin Tonra
    Lecturer in English