[multilingual-dh] DH 2020 proposal drafts

Quinn Dombrowski qad at stanford.edu
Thu Oct 3 16:04:47 PDT 2019

Hello Roseline,

The forum draft that we put together is pretty broad, about any issues that impact work on text in languages besides English. We’re hoping to have smaller discussion groups based on people’s interests, so depending on who attends, there might be enough people who want to talk about pidgins, or highly under-resourced languages, that could be relevant to what you’re working on. And with the tutorials, they’re open to any topic at all that’s relevant for working on DH in languages besides English — so if there’s anything that you’ve found that’s helped your work, it’d be great if you could write up a tutorial about it.

I was thinking today that once the program comes out, we could do a “Multilingual DH schedule” where we go through the whole program and find all the talks about or in languages other than English, and put together a guide for people who are interested in going to talks like that. So you should definitely submit something (a long or short paper, or a lightning talk or poster) if you have a project you’d like to talk about!

For folks who haven’t gotten anything into the conference before, I’d be happy (and I imagine other DH conference veterans would be too) to look through a draft submission and offer some feedback if you can get it to us by sometime next week.

Cheers,
Quinn