[multilingual-dh] Welcome & DH 2020 proposal

Quinn Dombrowski qad at stanford.edu
Thu Sep 26 19:38:32 PDT 2019

Dear all,

Thanks so much for joining the mailing list for “Multilingual DH”! It’s been wonderful to see so much interest in dealing with non-English materials.

While I expect I’ll mostly be writing in English (the projects I do span many languages, and English is the language I’m most comfortable in), please feel free to post in any language. There’s no reason not to discuss issues with a particular language, in that language. Most people working in that language will be able to read it, and for anyone else interested in following along, machine translation can often convey a basic gist.

I’m hoping we can use this space for lively discussion that can get into technical details where necessary. Please feel free to post any questions, thoughts, news, or discussion topics relevant to language(s) and DH.

To start things off, and because the deadline is coming up soon, is anyone interested in putting together a collective proposal for DH 2020 (e.g. for a poster, panel, new “forum”, etc.)? I’m also on the exec of GO::DH (http://globaloutlookdh.org) and we’ll have an opportunity to do probably a half-day workshop through GO::DH that won’t have to go through the normal review process — I’ll be looking for help organizing that later in October, since the deadline for those workshops is November 1st. But if we want to do something else together for DH 2020, the deadline is October 15th.

If you’re interested in a joint submission to DH 2020, please fill out this Doodle poll with dates and times for us to try to organize a synchronous meeting to come up with a plan in the next couple weeks:

More soon — from me, and from all of you as well, I hope!

Cheers,
Quinn