[multilingual-dh] “Around DH” scheduling + E Asian hours meeting notes

Quinn Dombrowski qad at stanford.edu
Wed Jul 28 21:14:02 PDT 2021

Dear all,

I hope the summer has been going as well as possible for you all. Apologies for the delay in the notes from the East Asia Friendly Hours meeting; I didn’t have childcare for a couple weeks after that, and I’m still catching up.

I’ve included some notes on that below, and I’d also like to share a Doodle poll (with times in late August) for anyone who’d like to join me in planning to revive the Around DH initiative highlighting DH work on and in non-English languages (arounddh.org): https://doodle.com/poll/rmegwzfm6a9risbk?utm_source=poll&utm_medium=link

As for the notes from the East Asian hours meeting, Lik Hang Tsui pointed us to the International Journal of Humanities and Arts Computing (https://www.euppublishing.com/loi/ijhac) as one looking for special issues and themes. There’s also a great deal of interest in DH in China, as well as a number of publications that may be interested in multilingual DH work.

We talked about the possibility of working with parallel corpora across multiple East Asian languages: http://ygc.skku.edu/ygc/index.do

We also talked about the possibility of trying to crowdsource DH syllabi from around the world (and across languages). There’s Open Syllabus (https://opensyllabus.org/) but the emphasis is overwhelmingly on English, and we might be able to get (and visualize) a more focused data set if we look only at DH courses, but in any language.

Anyone else at that meeting, please feel free to add things I missed from my notes (with apologies, again, for it taking some time to write it all up)!

If you know of any other interesting initiatives in the world of multilingual DH, or if you’d like to organize something, please feel free to send it to the list! I’ll plan on trying to organize another larger group check-in meeting at the beginning of fall.

Take care,
Quinn