[multilingual-dh] “Around DH” scheduling + E Asian hours meeting notes

Antonio RC rojas.castro.antonio at gmail.com
Wed Jul 28 23:54:43 PDT 2021

Hello Quinn,

Nice initiatives. I am particularly interested in helping somehow to
develop AroundDH and am very interested in Open Syllabus. I am going to try
to add my own syllabi now.

I do not know how I could help because I have little time, but let me know
if you have a small task that I could help you with. Perhaps suggesting
projects for AroundDH or looking at syllabus in Spanish that are not part
of the portal?

Thanks. All the best

El jue, 29 jul 2021 a las 6:14, Quinn Dombrowski (<qad at stanford.edu>)
escribió:

> Dear all,
>
> I hope the summer has been going as well as possible for you all.
> Apologies for the delay in the notes from the East Asia Friendly Hours
> meeting; I didn’t have childcare for a couple weeks after that, and I’m
> still catching up.
>
> I’ve included some notes on that below, and I’d also like to share a
> Doodle poll (with times in late August) for anyone who’d like to join me in
> planning to revive the Around DH initiative highlighting DH work on and in
> non-English languages (arounddh.org):
> https://doodle.com/poll/rmegwzfm6a9risbk?utm_source=poll&utm_medium=link
>
> As for the notes from the East Asian hours meeting, Lik Hang Tsui pointed
> us to the International Journal of Humanities and Arts Computing (
> https://www.euppublishing.com/loi/ijhac) as one looking for special
> issues and themes. There’s also a great deal of interest in DH in China, as
> well as a number of publications that may be interested in multilingual DH
> work.
>
> We talked about the possibility of working with parallel corpora across
> multiple East Asian languages: http://ygc.skku.edu/ygc/index.do
>
> We also talked about the possibility of trying to crowdsource DH syllabi
> from around the world (and across languages). There’s Open Syllabus (
> https://opensyllabus.org/) but the emphasis is overwhelmingly on English,
> and we might be able to get (and visualize) a more focused data set if we
> look only at DH courses, but in any language.
>
> Anyone else at that meeting, please feel free to add things I missed from
> my notes (with apologies, again, for it taking some time to write it all
> up)!
>
> If you know of any other interesting initiatives in the world of
> multilingual DH, or if you’d like to organize something, please feel free
> to send it to the list! I’ll plan on trying to organize another larger
> group check-in meeting at the beginning of fall.
>
> Take care,
> Quinn

*Dr. Antonio Rojas Castro*
Wissenschaftlicher Mitarbeiter, Berlin-Brandenburgische Akademie der
Wissenschaften (BBAW)
Profesor asociado, Universidad Internacional de la Rioja (UNIR)