[ncbo-publictalks] Formation of the International Association for Ontology and its Applications (IAOA)

Mark Musen musen at Stanford.EDU
Tue Jun 16 07:30:47 PDT 2009

Colleagues,

I am delighted to announce that there is a new membership organization
dedicated to the subject of applied ontology that will be of interest
to the NCBO community.  Although not biomedical in orientation, the
founders of IAOA view biomedicine as a strategically important
application area.

Formally established in Trento, Italy in April 2009, after an open
meeting at the 2008 Conference on Formal Ontology in Information
Systems, IAOA is a non-profit, open   association with the purpose of
promoting interdisciplinary research and international collaboration
at the intersection of philosophical  ontology, linguistics, logic,
cognitive science, and computer science, as well as in the
applications of ontological analysis to conceptual modeling, knowledge
engineering, knowledge management, information
systems development, library and information science, scientific
research, and semantic technologies in general.

IAOA is open to all individuals and institutions who share its goals.

For the statute, list of activities, membership benefits, mailing list
and other information, please visit http://www.iaoa.org.

To present the IAOA, which enjoys a the friendly cooperation with the
Ontolog Forum, the IAOA Executive Council has organized a public
Ontolog telecon for this Thursday, June 18, at 10:30 PDT, 19:30 CEST.
See details at

http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2009_06_18

I believe that IAOA will be able to play an important, supportive role
for workers in our discipline, and I urge you to learn more about the
organization and to help guide its future.

Thanks,

Mark