[ncbo-publictalks] FW: Formation of the International Association for Ontology and its Applications (IAOA)

MacIntosh, Chris cmaci at exch-dom.stanford.edu
Wed Jun 17 12:49:51 PDT 2009

From: Musen, Mark A
Sent: Tuesday, June 16, 2009 7:31 AM
To: NCBO-PublicTalks
Subject: Formation of the International Association for Ontology and its
Applications (IAOA)

Colleagues,

I am delighted to announce that there is a new membership organization
dedicated to the subject of applied ontology that will be of interest to
the NCBO community.  Although not biomedical in orientation, the
founders of IAOA view biomedicine as a strategically important
application area.

Formally established in Trento, Italy in April 2009, after an open
meeting at the 2008 Conference on Formal Ontology in Information
Systems, IAOA is a non-profit, open   association with the purpose of
promoting interdisciplinary research and international collaboration at
the intersection of philosophical  ontology, linguistics, logic,
cognitive science, and computer science, as well as in the applications
of ontological analysis to conceptual modeling, knowledge engineering,
knowledge management, information
systems development, library and information science, scientific
research, and semantic technologies in general.

IAOA is open to all individuals and institutions who share its goals.

For the statute, list of activities, membership benefits, mailing list
and other information, please visit http://www.iaoa.org
<http://www.iaoa.org/> .

To present the IAOA, which enjoys a the friendly cooperation with the
Ontolog Forum, the IAOA Executive Council has organized a public Ontolog
telecon for this Thursday, June 18, at 10:30 PDT, 19:30 CEST. See
details at

http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2009_06_18

I believe that IAOA will be able to play an important, supportive role
for workers in our discipline, and I urge you to learn more about the
organization and to help guide its future.

Thanks,

Mark