[ncbo-publictalks] NCBO Webinar - James Malone, Feb. 3

Trish Whetzel whetzel at stanford.edu
Sun Jan 31 23:56:15 PST 2010

The next NCBO Webinar will be held Wednesday, February 3 at 10am PT.
Please note there will not be a VOIP option and attendees must call
into the teleconference.

The Webinar will be presented by Dr. James Malone, from the European
Bioinformatics Institute. The title of the presentation will be
“Modeling gene expression sample variables with an application
ontology”. Below is information on how to join the online meeting and
accompanying teleconference. For a schedule of the 2010 presentations
or for more information about the NCBO Seminar series, see: http://www.bioontology.org/seminar-series
.

TITLE: Modeling gene expression sample variables with an application
ontology

ABSTRACT: Describing biological sample variables with ontologies is
complex due to the cross-domain nature of experiments. Ontologies help
in providing annotation solutions, however, for cross-domain
investigations, multiple ontologies are needed to represent the
experimental data. Such ontologies are subject to rapid change, are
often very large and are not interoperable and present complexities
that are a barrier to users of biological resources. In this talk I
will present our approach to curating gene expression experimental
data with an application ontology, the Experimental Factor Ontology
(EFO), designed to meet cross-domain, application focused use cases. I
will also describe the additional querying power such an ontology now
gives us in our applications, such as the Gene Expression Atlas and
ArrayExpress at EBI. Our approach demonstrates a successful
methodology for consuming and applying domain ontologies in a real-
world data repository application.

WEBEX DETAILS:
Topic: NCBO Webinar Series