[openflow-announce] Announcing the Open Networking Foundation

Nick McKeown nickm at stanford.edu
Mon Mar 21 21:09:23 PDT 2011

Dear OpenFlow team members,

I'm writing to tell you that the Open Networking Foundation is now open
for business. The press release pasted below went out at 9pm tonight.
We have been working to set up ONF for over a year. It will be very
interesting to watch what happens over the next few days.

The essential message is that ONF was created to promote Software
Defined Networking (SDN), of which OpenFlow is the first step. OpenFlow
will now be moved over to ONF. You will all have a chance to meet Dan
Pitt, who is the new Executive Director, in the coming weeks. Dan is
great, and comes with many years of experience in networking and
standardization. First item of business will be to start assembling
working groups and get to work.

Thank you everyone for all the hard work, debate and energy devoted to
bringing OpenFlow from a seedling idea, to adoption by a broad
cross-section of the networking industry. You will also notice that
www.opennetworkingfoundation.org is up, and www.openflow.org is updated.
If you are having trouble finding information, or if you find broken
links, please let us know.

We will be in touch soon to start figuring out the next steps in the
journey.
- Nick

  *Open Networking Foundation Formed to Speed Network Innovation*

PORTLAND, Ore.-- Six companies that own and operate some of the largest
networks in the world --- Deutsche Telekom, Facebook, Google, Microsoft,
Verizon, and Yahoo! --- announced today the formation of the Open
Networking Foundation (ONF), a nonprofit organization dedicated to
promoting a new approach to networking called Software-Defined
Networking (SDN). Joining these six founding companies in creating ONF
are 17 member companies, including major equipment vendors, networking
and virtualization software suppliers, and chip technology providers.

In the past two decades, enormous innovation has taken place on top of
the Internet architecture. Email, e-commerce, search, social networks,
cloud computing, and the web as we know it are all good examples. While
networking technologies have also evolved in this time, the ONF believes
that more rapid innovation is needed. SDN fulfills this need by enabling
innovation in all kinds of networks --- including data centers, wide
area telecommunication networks, wireless networks, enterprises and in
homes --- through relatively simple software changes. SDN thus gives
owners and operators of networks better control over their networks,
allowing them to optimize network behavior to best serve their and their
customers' needs. For instance, in data centers SDN can be used to
reduce energy usage by allowing some routers to be powered down during
off-peak periods.

The SDN approach arose out of a six-year research collaboration between
Stanford University and the University of California at Berkeley.
Essential to SDN are two basic components: a software interface (called
OpenFlow) for controlling how packets are forwarded through network
switches, and a set of global management interfaces upon which more
advanced management tools can be built. The first task of ONF will be to
adopt and then lead the ongoing development of the OpenFlow standard
(www.openflow.org
<http://cts.businesswire.com/ct/CT?id=smartlink&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.openflow.org%2F&esheet=6655212&lan=en-US&anchor=www.openflow.org&index=1&md5=dfa75dfab741dddcc49be39bdc9ab859>)
and encourage its adoption by freely licensing it to all member
companies. ONF will then begin the process of defining global management
interfaces.

"Software-Defined Networking will allow networks to evolve and improve
more quickly than they can today," said Urs Hoelzle, ONF President and
Chairman of the Board, and Senior Vice President of Engineering at
Google. "Over time, we expect SDN will help networks become both more
secure and more reliable."

"With broad industry support from technology leaders and networking
experts, the ONF brings new opportunities and flexibility to the future
of networking," added Jonathan Heiliger, ONF Founding Board Member and
Vice President of Technical Operations at Facebook. "We're actively
encouraging new members to join us in this endeavor."

The initial members (including founding companies) of ONF are: Broadcom,
Brocade, Ciena, Cisco, Citrix, Dell, Deutsche Telekom, Ericsson,
Facebook, Force10, Google, HP, IBM, Juniper Networks, Marvell,
Microsoft, NEC, Netgear, NTT, Riverbed Technology, Verizon, VMware, and
Yahoo!.

A veteran of the networking industry and networking standards bodies,
Dan Pitt will serve as Executive Director of the ONF starting on April
1, 2011.

*ONF Founding Board Members Support Open Networking Technologies*

"Industry-wide open application programming interface (API) efforts like
ONF are promising for the next generation of network-based offerings,"
said Bruno Orth, Senior Vice President of Network Strategy and
Architecture at Deutsche Telekom. "SDN principles advance Deutsche
Telekom's vision of 'connected life and work' and are expected to
accelerate innovation for a seamless customer experience."

"As the owner and operator of one of the largest networks of data
centers, Microsoft recognizes the potential of highly programmable
network management systems to boost the capabilities of our cloud
computing platform in a profound way," said Arne Josefsberg, General
Manager of Windows Azure Infrastructure at Microsoft.

"We believe the ONF effort will accelerate the development of key
network capabilities, which will help evolve our networks to be more
responsive to our customers' needs," said Stu Elby, Vice President,
Network Architecture & Technology at Verizon.

"It is no surprise that the Internet audience continues to grow rapidly
and the networks are the foundation of this expansion," said Adam
Bechtel, Vice President of Yahoo! Infrastructure. "Through the ONF,
we're excited to work towards improving the agility of massive networks
and drive the evolution of SDN."

"Stronger definition of network behavior in software is a growing trend,
and open interfaces are going to lead to faster innovation," said Nick
McKeown, ONF Board member and professor at Stanford University. "We're
excited to see the industry building upon university research," added
Scott Shenker, ONF Board member and professor at the University of
California, Berkeley.

*About the Open Networking Foundation*

The Open Networking Foundation (ONF) is a nonprofit, mutual benefit
trade organization organized under Section 501(c)(6) of the US Internal
Revenue code. ONF's mission is to promote the development and use of
Software-Defined Networking ("SDN") technologies, including OpenFlow, to
allow networks to improve more quickly. SDN enables rapid innovation
because it allows network owners and operators to optimize the network
for their needs.

(www.opennetworkingfoundation.org
<http://cts.businesswire.com/ct/CT?id=smartlink&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.opennetworkingfoundation.org%2F&esheet=6655212&lan=en-US&anchor=www.opennetworkingfoundation.org&index=2&md5=4e163a16f300de9749f8bcc288c1acab>)

    Contacts

Open Networking Foundation
650-516-6306
press at opennetworkingfoundation.org