[openflow-discuss] Openflow new learner-- how to better learn programming

Weiyang Mo wmo at optics.arizona.edu
Tue Mar 13 16:42:35 PDT 2012

Hi all,

I've been working on OpenFlow about 40 days and I am confused what to do next. I have some background in programming but not proficient

I think two key problems are lacking of manuals(tutorials) and programming skills. I referred to OpenFlow WIKI tutorial and it helped me a lot. However some parts of the tutorials( e.g Create a real slice network, create a firewall, create a controller for a new topology) have no solutions thus it is difficult to continue. Until now, I even have no idea about how to use FlowVisor or connceting to OpenFlow switches in real networks.

Everything part is scattered for me and I took a plenty of time to get them. I understand our goal is to demonstrate OpenFlow-MPLS and OpenFlow-based wavelength switching. there should be many steps during the steps however I cannot find a way to make progress.

Could you please share your experience that how you start using OpenFlow, especially how you start to learn creating the NOX controller? Or how you made progress for the ultimate goal?Or do you have some source from websites for new learners?

I'll really appreciate your time and advice.

Thanks very much

Best

Weiyang Mo