[openflow-discuss] Failure detection and recovery with OpenFlow

Chris Small chsmall at grnoc.iu.edu
Tue May 22 14:39:24 PDT 2012

One piece of software that detects and recovers from failures is the OESS software, developed by Indiana University and deployed on Internet2 NDDI.

This software uses the NoX LLSP discovery but also the OpenFlow Port Status Async messages to detect failures. OESS can be configured to switch to alternate path if a link failure is detected.  Failovers within a second even with the latencies on a national footprint.

NDDI
http://www.internet2.edu/network/ose/

OESS Code
http://code.google.com/p/nddi/