[opensource] Open Source License Resources (help needed!)

Elspeth Simpson White elspeth at stanford.edu
Tue Feb 5 19:40:55 PST 2008

**Hi all,

Here's a description of some of the work Brandy and I have been doing
regarding open source resources, along with a request for help . . .

Releasing code under an Open Source license can be a daunting challenge.
Every contributor to the work may need to give their permission, the
right license must be selected, and a number of formal steps must be
taken. Stanford is happy to release code it owns under an Open Source
license, and is willing to help researchers release code that they own
under an Open Source license. However, more resources are needed to help
with this process.

We are working to strengthen the Open Source resources available to
researchers at Stanford by updating and expanding the University's guide
to releasing Open Source projects. We are also tackling a few small
projects, such as drafting an agreement that anyone working on a project
can sign at the outset to make it clear that they are assigning the
rights to the work. This will make it easier to later convert a project
to Open Source.

*_How you can help:_* We would like to make the Open Source resource
guide as practical as possible. If you have ever thought about releasing
a project under an Open Source license, please send questions you had
about the process to Brandy Karl (bkarl at stanford.edu).

Thanks!

Elspeth

-----