[opensource] Open Source Social Networking Software

John Foliot - Stanford Online Accessibility Program jfoliot at stanford.edu
Wed Feb 13 07:46:41 PST 2008

http://vivalogo.com/vl-resources/open-source-social-networking-software.htm

> However, I don't see any video sharing clients. Wouldn't it be cool if
> there was a SUtube hosting service?
>
> james

James,

Earlier this week (Monday) at the OpenCast presentation Scott Stocker
unofficially announced the fact that Stanford had inked a deal with Utube
for a Stanford branded channel.  Further details presumably forthcoming...

As many of you know, I am becoming increasingly concerned about the use of
video in pedagogical instances, as most guidance and literature suggests we
have a responsibility to ensure that text transcripts/captioning be made
available for students who require such.  Sadly, the train seems to be
pulling away from the station minus this important consideration.

While I continue to speak with individual content authors, as well as
various developers of all stripes, there is a concerted need for a system
that integrates this process into normal work-flows, and this may very well
be something that the OS Lab can/should consider looking at.  Whilst I have
a good understanding of requirements, my dev skills may not be up to the
task, so if there are dev folk out there in search of a project...

JF
John Foliot
Academic Technology Consultant
Stanford Online Accessibility Program