[opensource] Student Web Developers needed

Marco Wise marco.wise at stanford.edu
Wed Feb 20 16:03:04 PST 2008

Hi Everyone,

Apologies for the cross-posting...

IT Services is looking for a couple of good student developers to help
create a cookbook that addresses web development within our
infrastructure (posting below) as well as polish up templates for some
of the open source apps here on campus.

If you know of any students who can code well in PHP and/or Perl and
that might be interested, or anyone that might know someone who's
interested (like professors), or even where a good place to post
flyers would be (I figure Gates, Hewlett and the Math building - where
else?), please let me know.

If you've hired students before, I'm also looking to find out what
would count as a competitive rate nowadays.

Thanks,

- marco

PHP / Perl Web Developer (Open Source)

IT Services is looking for a couple of Stanford students to help
create, review and document a web development cookbook, or set of best
practices for developing web applications in Perl and PHP within our
infrastructure (Webauth, AFS, Kerberos, OpenLDAP).

Some examples of what we are planning on putting into the cookbook:

* How to bind to the LDAP directory
* How to extract data from the LDAP directory
* How to determine if a webauth'ed visitor belongs to a privgroup
* How to send email securely
* How to send email with an attachment
* How to store form data into MySQL (securely)
* How to display data in an HTML table from a text file
* How to display data in an HTML table from a MySQL query
* How to create logs
* How to setup MySQL-based sessions

We are also working on creating skins for some open source
applications (Wordpress, Mediawiki and Drupal).

If you can write clean, easy to read code in PHP or Perl (or both!),
we'd like to talk to you. If you have also developed code at Stanford,
we'd *really* like to talk to you. The goal here is to create code
other web developers on campus can use in their own apps, so you need
to be able to write reliable, error-checked, understandable code.

If you have any questions, or would like to apply please contact Marco
Wise at marco.wise at stanford.edu