[opensource] Open Source Metrics (was: Re: Stanford Senior Project

Dirk Riehle dirk at riehle.org
Fri Feb 29 10:51:23 PST 2008

I thought I'd take this opportunity to let you know that we (open source
research at SAP Labs, about 3min from SU campus) are sitting on the
ohloh.net (www.ohloh.net) database (data from > 5000 active open source
projects) trying to quantitatively analyze it for how open source works.
A basic but powerful result we got is total growth of open source best
fits an exponential curve; another more focussed one is that continuous
integration is not widely practiced yet (based on an analysis of commit
size and frequency).

My point: We have too much data and too few smart people to analyse it.
If you know of people who know how software development, specifically
open source works, who know SQL, and who have a decent math/statistics
background, I'd really appreciate it if you point them my way.

Thanks,
Dirk

--
Phone: + 1 (650) 215 3459