[opensource] The Health Commons

Henrik Bennetsen bennetsen at gmail.com
Wed May 21 13:54:35 PDT 2008

This is an attempt to bring a disease research into the networked age.
Interesting to see open source philosophy and method spread well beyond
software.

The time has come to change the way we cure disease. We are no longer asking
> whether a gene or a molecule is critical to a particular biological process;
> rather, we are discovering whole networks of molecular and cellular
> interactions that contribute to disease. And soon, we will have such
> information about individuals, rather than the population as a whole.
> Biomedical knowledge is exploding, and yet the system to capture that
> knowledge and translate it into saving human lives still relies on an
> antiquated and risky strategy of focusing the vast resources of a few
> pharmaceutical companies on just a handful of disease targets.

http://sciencecommons.org/projects/healthcommons (the 6 minute video is
worth a watch)

Henrik