[opensource] Public Knowledge at Stanford

Henrik Bennetsen bennetsen at gmail.com
Wed May 21 14:22:03 PDT 2008

Hi all,

through our lab I met John
Willinsky<http://ed.stanford.edu/suse/faculty/displayRecord.php?suid=willinsk>and
became aware of the Public
Knowledge Project <http://pkp.sfu.ca/> (PKP). This project has been
advocating open access <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_access> to
research produced the open source Open Journal
Systems<http://pkp.sfu.ca/?q=ojs>and Open
Conference Systems <http://pkp.sfu.ca/?q=ocs>.

With John and others a brainstorm on setting up Public Knowledge at Stanford
got underway. We imagined such a project could do things like:

   - Host and maintain Open Journal Systems, so open journal managers could
   focus on doing what they do best.
   - Highlight open access knowledge repositories at Stanford
   - Be a place to discuss how to further open access to Stanford research

The project is still very being figured out. Everything starts with a mailing
list <https://mailman.stanford.edu/mailman/listinfo/publicknowledgeproject>so
feel very free to join our conversation.

As a next step I have invited to John come speak at our next workshop that
will take place on Weds June 4th at 12:30 (save the date and stand by for
official invite). This will be a great place to put the Open Source Lab hive
mind to work on this issue so I hope you will join us.

Input most welcome!

Henrik