[opensource] Workshop: Open Source, Open Access, Open Stanford

Henrik Bennetsen bennetsen at gmail.com
Wed May 21 16:39:51 PDT 2008

*Please forward this email to all interested parties at Stanford and beyond*

Stanford Open Source Lab <http://oslblog.stanford.edu/> would like to invite
all interested parties to our fifth workshop:* **Open Source, Open Access,
Open Stanford*. As our invited speaker we are happy to welcome John
Willinsky

   -

   *When: Wednesday, June 4th at 12:30*
   -

   *Where: Room 127** on the ground floor of Wallenberg
Hall<http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&ie=UTF8&om=1&msa=0&msid=112200789092080371699.00043dbc7b062fc44f3bf&ll=37.428712,-122.168612&spn=0.007131,0.016823&z=17>(Bldg.
160), Stanford University
   *

This workshop will demonstrate the workings of a recently
arrived-at-Stanford open source alternative to current economic models for
scholarly communication, with the modest aim of moving more of research and
scholarship into the public sphere on a global scale. Participants will be
invited to kick the tires and look under the hood of the open source journal
and conference management software, as well as to consider how we can do
more to take Stanford public, in principle and practice.

Speaker Bio:

John Willinsky is Khosla Family Professor of Education at Stanford
University and director of the Public Knowledge Project
<http://pkp.sfu.ca/>(PKP), which is a research and development
initiative devoted to improving
the public and scholarly quality of research. Much of his work is free to
download through the project's website <http://pkp.sfu.ca>, including his
book, The Access Principle: The Case for Open Access
to<http://pkp.sfu.ca/node/457>(MIT Press, 2006), winner of two
outstanding book awards, as well as PKP's
award-winning open source software for journals <http://pkp.sfu.ca/?q=ojs>and
conferences <http://pkp.sfu.ca/?q=ocs>.

More practical stuff:

   -

   The workshop is free and open to all interested parties.
   -

   Feel very free to forward this email or link to our
blog<http://oslblog.stanford.edu/>
   .
   -

   No need to RSVP but you can write Henrik Bennetsen - hbe at stanford.edu if
   you have any questions.
   -

   You can check out video the from our previous 4 workshops:

   <https://www.stanford.edu/group/opensource/cgi-bin/blog/2008/01/06/aaron-swartz-of-the-open-library-project/>
   - Aaron Swartz of the Open Library
Project<https://www.stanford.edu/group/opensource/cgi-bin/blog/2008/01/06/aaron-swartz-of-the-open-library-project/>
      - Wikiversity, Wikipedia and Participatory
Learning<https://www.stanford.edu/group/opensource/cgi-bin/blog/2008/01/04/wikiversity-wikipedia-and-participatory-learning/>
      - Bruce Perens: Innovation Goes
Public<https://www.stanford.edu/group/opensource/cgi-bin/blog/2008/03/13/bruce-perens-talk-now-online/>
      - Ahrash Bissell: