[opensource] reading and pronunciation tutoring: venue and help integrate with Drupal?

James Salsman jsalsman at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 19:17:43 PST 2009

Since there is still no general open source solution for reading and
pronunciation tutoring, I am considering giving an updated version of
my unconference talk from last year -- http://tinyurl.com/5ktegv
(which I just updated on the wiki with motivation and some Springer
LNCS and LNAI citations.)

However, I've moved closer to Berkeley over the past year, and
Berkeley is really suffering bad budget cuts so I would like to give
one talk in Berkeley this time to help them out, and another at
Stanford, or maybe one just in San Francisco if there isn't enough
interest in two talks.  Please help me figure this out by answering
these questions to the best of your ability:

1.  Where would be a good venue for this talk at Berkeley or the East Bay?

2.  Where would be a good venue for this talk at Stanford or the South Bay?

3.  Where would be a good venue for this talk in San Francisco?

4.  Would you attend an updated version of the talk?  If so, at which
of the above locations would you be willing to attend, in order of
preference?

Also, as you know, I was hoping to keep the wiki updated, but since
apparently I'm the only one working on the wiki anymore, and people
were talking about moving it to Drupal, I was wondering if I could
gauge interest in making an open source replica of the basic functions
of http://vaestro.com/ so I could donate a copy of my integrated
server in return for (for example) OSL hosting so we could integrate
questions as assessments using some existing Drupal framework (no I
don't have any particular one in mind, but I believe more than one
exists.) So I have four more questions:

5.  Are you interested in making an open source replica of the basic
functions of Vaestro?

6.  If you answered yes, how are you interested?  Helping to code it?
Donating coder time you control?  Donating a server to it?  Helping to
manage coding it?  Something else?

7.  If your answer involved coding or the server, can you think of any
reason that http://mammothserver.org/ is not the most appropriate
Flash server platform for this task?

8.  Which is your favorite Drupal system for managing and/or
administering textual assessments?

Please answer, even if you think you aren't sure of your answers.
This topic has been repeatedly and systemically given far less
attention than it deserves, given the extent to which it can lower the
age at which the average person can attain a given reading level -- as
has been documented at http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~listen/research.html --
and we need to counter that systemic bias to fully exploit the
technologies involved.  Thank you.

Sincerely,
James Salsman